Sunday, August 24, 2014

Gel Stain on the Mantel

There is so much gel stain left from the family bathroom cabinets, I decided to try it on the fireplace mantel. I would like to paint the brick one day too, but have to convince husband it will look nice. Nothing seems to coordinate with the  brick, but I digress.  

Check out the before and after photos of the mantel. 

After wiping with TSP substitute (because I had it on hand) and a sanding with extra fine sand paper. 



2 Coats of General Finishes Brown Mahogany Gel Stain later… 


 Up close of what happens after quickly cleaning. I didn't notice there were old wax drips on the mantel. Gel stain won't cover this and I will need to sand and stain again before I can put the gel topcoat over the entire thing.  
I must admit the darker wood makes the fireplace color more bearable. Although an all white fireplace would look great too ;-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment