Sunday, August 24, 2014

Forget Ikea and spray paint a bookshelf

Before rushing out to Ikea, check your neighborhood curb for preloved piece of furniture.  Spray paint covers a multitude of sins, is cheap, and at the least could buy you a bit of time before you can afford the new item.  Maybe by then, you can skip Ikea and go to West Elm?

My son needed a bookshelf.  I was going to take him for a ride on his tricycle, then head off to Ikea to buy one.  On our walk, I saw a bookshelf sitting by the curb.  It was EXACTLY what I needed. Short, sturdy, and paintable.  I asked the homeowner to save it for me, finished our walk, then rushed back to get the car.

The bookshelf used to be cream with flowers hand painted all over it. Sorry to say I do not have any before pictures because I wasn't thinking about that at the time. I was thinking 'I better snag this before someone else grabs it'.

But I do have a during picture.  Son wanted a blue bookshelf so I got some primer and high gloss spray paint and went to work.

It's gorgeous.  It holds all his books. It was free. So with about $10 in spray paint (and the nice shirt that I ruined because I keep forgetting to change before a project), I had exactly what I wanted.   Bargain.  So before you rush out to Ikea, Roomstore, or wherever, check out your neighborhood and spray paint something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment